Columbia community members frequently travel and work outside of the United States to engage in a variety of academic, service, and research programs. Here you will find guidance for typical administrative, legal, and financial tasks that you may need while doing business abroad.
Get Started on International Operations by learning about planning and launching a variety of international activities, important legal matters, and special considerations.
- Learn about the Types of International Activities
- Plan for International Activities
- Launch International Activities
- Find Resources about Doing Business Abroad
- Learn about Legal and Regulatory Compliance
- Secure Local Legal Counsel and Other Experts
- Establish a Legal Presence Outside of the United States
Columbia community members frequently travel and work outside of the United States to engage in a variety of academic, service, and research programs. The following guidance briefly outlines key issues and resources for working globally.
Payroll and Tax
- Visit Columbia Human Resources to Learn about Benefits (website)
- Learn about Taxes While Working Abroad
- International Activities and Taxes
Travel and Expense
Managing Financial Needs
Find the financial and administrative processes that address the many special requirements of international operations.
- Learn about Roles and Responsibilities
- Request a Cash Advance for International Operations (website)
- Learn about Funding, Planning, and Budgets
- Find Columbia's International Site Codes (pdf)
Audit and Risk Management
- Learn about Internal Controls Best Practices
- Mitigate Risks in Your Area
- Learn about Fraud Awareness
Banking and Cash Management
- Learn about Budgets and the University Budget Schedule
- View the Budget Structure
- Access the Budget Tool (via MyColumbia)
Buying and Paying
- Purchase Goods or Services while Abroad
- Learn about P-Card Set-Up and Modification
- Learn about Foreign Payment Tax Considerations
- Pay International Suppliers from the U.S.
- Learn about Payments and Disbursements by Wire Transfer
- Receive International Payments and Set Up Wire Transfers
- Make an Emergency International Payment
- Getting Started with Reporting