Closing Bank Accounts
Learn how to properly close a University bank account.
University bank accounts are periodically reviewed for usefulness and compliance with University policies, by the Offices of the Treasurer and the Controller. Accounts that are in violation of University policies or that are no longer necessary to support the activity for which the account was established, will be recommended for closing.
If your department would like to close a bank account, or has done so recently, please complete the Request to Close Existing Bank Account and attach it to Treasury - General Request Form with the following required information:
- The business purpose for the closure
- Confirmation that the account has no outstanding transactions
- Approval by an appropriate officer of Columbia University
Reasons to close bank accounts may include:
- Unauthorized activity
- No activity/dormant account
- Change in business purpose or type of account
Your department needs to:
- Ensure that the ARC bank account has a $0 balance
- Ensure that the ARC MCA account has a $0 balance
Bank Account Request Form
If you would like to close or modify an existing University bank account, or have done so recently, please complete the form: Request to Close Existing Bank Account.
Bank Account Policy
Please refer to the Bank Account Policy to review requirements for opening, closing, updating, and maintaining Columbia University bank accounts.