Services, Software, and Consultant Agreements
Columbia hires Consultants and Service Providers to accomplish the objectives of the University when such Services are specialized, highly technical, and commercially available and cannot be economically or satisfactorily performed by University employees as part of their normal duties.
We manage suppliers through three different processes, reflecting risk levels:
- Voucher – No Central Purchase Order (PO) is required.
- PO Only – The PO is the agreement.
- Agreement – Requires a separate agreement suitable to address the main risk profile of the provider category.
Some examples of Service Providers:
- Business Consultants
- Ancillary Medical Professionals
- Strategic Consultants
- Graphic Designers
- Software companies
- IT Consultants
- Database Management
- General Research
- Video Editors
- PR & Marketing
- Recruiting Agencies
- Business coaches
- Performers (actors, musicians, orchestra ensembles, disk-jockeys, dancers, magicians), speakers, and photographers/videographers that we process in a streamlined manner when the risk profile is low. View our instructions on how to hire a performer.
University schools and departments may contract for the purchase of Professional Services to accomplish the objectives of the University when such Services are specialized, highly technical, and cannot be economically or satisfactorily performed by University employees as part of their normal duties. These purchases often involve intellectual property, insurance, liabilities, deliverables, service levels, and performance requirements that we must ensure are covered by appropriate terms and conditions.
View the Purchasing Lifecycle in Accounting and Reporting at Columbia (ARC) for Service Providers to understand the process.
Please note: Change Order Justification is a document type in EDM, not an actual form or template. It is to be used to upload a memo, invoice/proposal/quote, or email clearly stating why the change order is required. View the Change Order Justification Memo for more information.
As of 11/19/2013, please use the new Photography Rider. Do not use the old version of the Rider if saved on your hard drive.
Below are a number of areas to consider when hiring a consultant or service provider:
- Overview – Service Providers and Other Contractors for Professional Services
- Independent Contractors versus Employees
- Types of Contracts
- How to Contract for Professional Services
- Publication Agreements with Specified Freelancers (Writers, etc.)
- Editing Standard Columbia Agreements
- Competitive Bidding / Sole, Single Sole Source
- Professional Services under a Sponsored Agreement
- Process – Consultants Service Providers
- Change Order Justification Memo
- Photography Rider
- Purchasing Lifecycle in Accounting and Reporting at Columbia (ARC) for Service Providers
For additional information, please contact Services, Software, and Consultant Agreements