Personal Income Taxes and Withholding (U.S. and Foreign)

Columbia’s practice is not to provide tax advice to employees. Employees working overseas should consult their personal tax advisors with respect to their individual tax obligations.

United States

The U.S. taxes its citizens and permanent residents on worldwide income. Columbia University employees who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents must file U.S. tax returns even if all their income is earned abroad. However, individuals working or taxed abroad may benefit from certain tax deductions and credits such as:

→ the foreign tax credit (see IRS Pub. 54 – here is the link to Pub. 54) for foreign taxes paid; and

→ the foreign earned income exclusion, foreign housing exclusion, and foreign housing deduction (see IRS Pub. 54 – here is the link to Pub. 54) for those who reside or are present in a foreign country for most or all of a tax year.

For more information, see the IRS page on U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad.

Employees on a U.S. payroll who expect to qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion may file IRS Form 673, which allows Columbia not to withhold U.S. federal taxes from their pay. There are also residency considerations at the state (and potentially the city) level that differ from the federal regulations. Again, employees are advised to consult with a tax professional to discuss their individual circumstances and filing obligations.

Employees on a U.S. payroll who are not residents of New York and who are working outside the U.S. may file a New York Non-Residency Declaration, so that Columbia will not withhold New York state taxes from their pay. Refer to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance for additional details.


Individuals working overseas are often subject to foreign income taxes, even if their salary is paid in the U.S. In many countries, as in the U.S., the employer is responsible for withholding income taxes from pay, so tax payment is a shared responsibility between Columbia and the employee. There are two personal tax issues to consider:

→ Is Columbia (or a related entity) responsible for withholding taxes from an employee’s pay; and

→ Is the employee responsible for paying taxes?

In some countries, both conditions apply; in others, only the second one; in a few, neither. In most countries, employees based abroad only trigger tax liability after a certain length of stay in country. It is usually dictated by the amount of time in country for any reason, not the number of work days. Often, that threshold is at least 90 days, and in countries that have tax treaties with the U.S. (see the IRS page on Tax Treaties for additional information) the threshold for U.S. residents is generally 180 or more days in a year. For certain occupations, the threshold may be longer; for example, some treaties have a provision allowing professors to teach in country for up to two years without becoming a tax resident.

For Questions Contact

If you can't find what you

need, have questions or

feedback, email us at: