Buying and paying for goods and services involves identifying appropriate suppliers and purchasing methods that meet the operating needs of Columbia schools, programs, and projects, as well as processing University payments for purchases, expenses, and awards.
Columbia prioritizes shopping the CU Marketplace to order and pay for goods from more than 20 enabled suppliers.
Click the CU Marketplace logo to the right to start shopping, or continue scrolling to learn more about non-Marketplace purchasing and other Procurement topics.
Top Non-Marketplace Tasks
Are you new to buying and paying at Columbia University? Start here to learn the basics.
Shopping for Goods and Services
Find suppliers or learn about special considerations for making purchases.
Ensure proper recordkeeping and timely payments within your department. Select a topic to learn more.
Information for Suppliers
Are you a Columbia University supplier or interested in becoming one? Use the following resources to help you do business smoothly and efficiently with Columbia.
These materials support administrative tasks and requirements associated with shopping for goods and services and managing payments at Columbia University.
Resources for Buying
- Purchasing Basics: Part 1 Training
- Uploading Documents Into ARC Job Aid
- Managing Requisitions in ARC Job Aid
- Category Codes and Natural Accounts Job Aid (with supporting Excel File)
- Creating and Using Speed Charts Job Aid
- SpeedChart Naming Conventions Excel File
- Procurement Processes and Key AP Terms Webpage
Resources for Paying
- Adjustment Vouchers Job Aid
- Journal Vouchers Job Aid
- Invoice Number Formats
- Return Funds to University
- Foreign Payment Basics
- Foreign Payment Tax Considerations
- Visa Status and Authorization
- Allowable Payments by Visa Type
- Uniform Guidance
- NDAA 889
- 1042 Tax Withholding for Nonresident Alien Individuals
- 1099 Tax Withholding for Non-Employee Compensation